Monday, June 20, 2011

Swiss Chard, Potato & Garlic Soup





Swiss Chard is a hard Veggie to sell. A lot of people run over to our booth thinking it's Rhubarb. They always ask me what can they do with it. Swiss Chard is a super food in my opinion, It's so full of nutrients!
So I thought I would try this soup out and share it since its So good! And super easy to make. It's not really soup weather outside but I had a bunch of leftover Swiss Chard from Market and I had to find something to make out of it.

1 bunch Swiss chard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, finely minced ( I added more to taste Since I love garlic)
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 pound red potatoes, peeled and diced in 1/2 inch pieces
Salt and freshly milled black pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2 cup Emmenthaler cheese, grated (Optional)


  





Clean Swiss chard. Remove leaves from heavy stems, keeping stems on side. Chop stems into 1/2 inch thick slices. Chop leaves into julienne. Keep separate. Set aside















Put oil butter and garlic in large soup pot. Let cook 5 minutes over low heat. Do not burn. This step is to allow garlic to release its juices.





Pour in broth and thyme. Put in potatoes and thick stems of the chard, raising heat to medium high. Bring to a boil. When boiling, lower heat to medium and cook until potatoes are beginning to soften, about 1 minutes. Stir in Swiss chard leaves and cook another 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add pepper and salt to taste.
Serve with grated cheese on the side

 

               This is what's for dinner tonight..Yummy!






9 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!! I may have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, It's really good! I'm glad I found a way to use up a lot of extra Chard :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, visiting from Brenda's blog, Cozy Little House. I love the banjo music! I also love Swiss chard, which is great sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic, served with crusty bread. I make a very similar type soup, but I sometimes add sausage. I wish I lived closer to shop! I'll be back to visit again. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bello il tuo blog!!!!! ciao,Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful blog you have and a beautiful farm! Have a nice day! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love Swiss Chard..I grow it all the time...
    I LOVE the deep color of your brown eggs..what breed lays that dark?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    I love your blog.. so cute :) It seems like we may have the same things in common. I just became a follower and am adding you to our blog roll! And will be back soon to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm visiting from Cozy Little House. Your soup looks delicious, all those delicious greens would be wonderful. If I lived near your market I would definitely be a regular!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks you all.

    I haven't been on in awhile so Sorry for the delayed response!

    Janie the dark egg layers are called Chocolate eggers. We keep black copper Marans which lay the darker eggs, The color isn't actually the shell color but a coloring that is secreted when the egg is layed, Sounds gross but the eggs are gorgeous lol.

    The other breed we have are called Welsummer's. There egg is darker but more of a terra cotta color with a bit of shine to them. They are lovely!

    ReplyDelete