Thursday, March 22, 2012

Busy week

With all the record breaking warm Temps here in Illinois It has allowed us to get a head start on the planting season. I don't think I've ever been Tan in March, Maybe a sunburn But not a good base tan. The weather may be weird but we sure are enjoying it. The fruit tree's are in bloom, My Zinnia's are up, The honey bee's are pollinating, and the cold weather spring crops are in the ground. Life is good! We may even get some early green beans in the ground.

Here are some pictures of our busy week.

Tilling the garden started in the morning and ended at 10:00 at night!

          
The next day it was time to get some Black plastic layed down for Garlic and onions                            
                                      
                    A ton of Garlic came back from last year that got away from us because of weeds
(we didn't plant on black plastic) So I started the process of transplanting them onto our newly plastic row. Hopefully we actually get some garlic this year! Black plastic is the way to go when its only two of us trying to keep up with all the weeding! While I transplanted the garlic Brad got in a bunch of other veggies such as, Radishes,turnips,beets,lettuce,spinach,arugula,Kale,Swiss chard,carrots, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others but my mind has gone blank LOL.


Early potato's, My favorite! We took turns trenching and hilling a 200 foot row by hand. A lot, lot more needs to go in. But Since we are doing it by hand this year I am glad we are doing it a little bit at a time. 

And a parting shot.
Our plum tree was filled with bee's and butterflies. It was magical! Makes me wish our bee order for our new hive was coming sooner. I hope with all that is in bloom so early, that we have a awesome honey harvest for our first year!
                                                                        

     

1 comment:

  1. Great Job you two. Looking forward to seeing and eating some of your veggies.

    ReplyDelete