Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Reused....Recycled....Save big!

I love the idea of reusing and recycling everyone's so called garbage into something useful and at the same time saving us tons of money.Ive been known to garbage pick, and stop on the side of the road when I see an old window or something useful.
While I was browsing around on the black hole called "Pinterest" The site of distraction – sucking me into its greatness for hours on end. I stumbled upon a bunch of photo's of people reusing and recycling Pallets into pure awesomeness. And with projects that never seem to end around here and a very tight budget,  we began our search for these useful pieces of greatness.

I see so many pallets going to waste, When they could be turned into such amazing things
Here are a few facts about Pallets in America:

*200 Million - # of trees that are logged every year for pallets

*500,000 - # of trees are felled every day for pallets
*40% - Overall US wood consumption % for pallets





So we scored big time and brought home a trailer full of Pallets. we have a few projects in mind.


*First on the list are compost bins, Super easy to do with pallets
*Next is a milk shed, Since my doe's are due in a month I will need a place to milk them.
*And the 3rd and biggest project is a pallet greenhouse.
( Should take awhile)

So instead of buying wood we vow to save as many pallets from the landfill as we can.

I will be putting up the finished projects on the blog as they are finished because "man time" as I call it is precious around here, and we never seem to have enough of it. Brad is a working machine and I can only do so much without a man around lol.

So here is the simple Pallet compost bins done with 5 pallets joined with L brackets and screws. This was so easy that my mom and I were able to just slap it together. And with this Oddly warm January weather we were able to do this. And paint it!! Never have I said I was able to paint outside in the middle of a Midwestern winter!




This is the front side facing the road. We stained it to match.


The inside




Next is the milking shed which we have started on already. Pics to come!

3 comments:

  1. I wish I was as inventive as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Bravo on recycling! I used to work for a manufacturing company that used a lot of pallets and we always reused as many as we could. We also bought a lot of pallets from a local company that would refurbish used pallets to work like new. I just wish we had been able to salvage more of them. Keep the projects coming! :)

    ReplyDelete